Friday, October 31, 2008

HAPPY HALLOWEEN from Florence!

Witches, wizards, devils, and even Superman graced the ancient streets of Florence this evening. I was shocked to see what I've always considered an American holiday celebrated here--and not even by Americans! Locals were the ones behind the gruesome masks, face paint, and coned black hats.

How would I know this? An Italian woman disguised as a wicked witch with a megaphone appeared to be giving dressed-up kids instructions from her second-story window. Since I don't capisco the language, I can't tell you what she was saying, but it must have been something real good because those tiny tots were hanging on every word.

Weaving through the small crowd, I scoured the area for free candy. Unfortunately, I had no luck, so I treated myself to a chocolate bar. Happy Halloween to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment