Thursday, October 30, 2008

Roaming in Rome

I recently had the privilege to call Italy's ancient capital "home" for five wonderful days. Meandering the windy, cobble-stoned streets, I quickly realized my bag was no place for my camera. Rome is a city that begs to be photographed and soon my digi cam was at-the-ready in my palm wherever I went. Here are some of my favorite moments in this living, breathing history museum.

First stop: The colossal Colosseum, which is, ironically, named after Nero's long-gone massive statue that was located near the arena of death.

Newlyweds Erika (my college roomie) and Joe, plus Kim and her hubby, Gabe, pose in front of the skeletal remains of the once great amphitheatre. Erika, Joe, and I break for a cappuccino and gelato in a cute square near the reknowned Spanish Steps, which were very disappointing. The famous staircase was nothing more than a bench for tourists and chain smokers (read: booooring).

My first taste of the world-famous authentic Italian gelato. The flavors: strawberry, hazelnut, and some chocolate chip blend called strata-something. I can't prounounce it, let alone spell it, but I can eat it! And I did: It was some of the creamiest, richest, smoothest ice cream I've ever had.

Joe and Erika park in front of the Pantheon, which is this dramatic 2,000-year-old church capped with a super impressive dome (said to be the first of it's kind). Legendary painter Raphael is buried here. The inscription on his grave reads: "Here lies Raphael, by whom Mother Nature of all things feared to be outdone while he was living, and while he was dying, herself to die". (*This was one of my favorite spots in Rome.)

Arrivederci dinner with the gang, who were spending their last night in Rome. It was my last night, too, before embarking on my solo tour of Italy. With that in mind, I made sure to talk my heart out.
Here's the long, but fast-moving line to enter the mystifying St. Peter's Cathedral. This is a must-see if you're ever in Rome. You don't have to be religious to recognize its breathtaking beauty. Michaelangelo's world-famous "Pieta" is in here.
This is the ultra-crowded Trevi Fountain. It's said to be the most photographed spot in Rome. Why go? Folklore says if you throw a coin over your shoulder into the fountain, you'll likely return to it one day. (Roughly $3,500 is thrown into this babbling water daily. The cash is collected at night, and used to subsidize a supermarket for Rome's low-income residents).





Check out Trevi's crowd!

This enormous structure, which dominates Rome's skyline, along with the city's domes, is a tribute to the "Unknown Soldier." You can take a glass elevator to the top if you're not chicken or cheap (the vertigo-inducing ride costs 8 euros).
My favorite part of the "Unknown Soldier" is the extravegant topping on this gorgeous monumental cake. (Thank you Amy and Rupes for a camera with kickass zoom!)


The nearby Roman Forum, which looks like a graveyard. I'm sure it's LOADED with ghosts--as is ALL of Rome.

This bambino threw a small red ball at me while I was tying my shoelace in a park. After he ran over to pick it up, he extended the round weapon toward me and said, "Bola." It was the cutest little accent I've ever heard.




In the name of adventure, I pick a random street around sunset and follow it until...
...I run into this massive political protest (these are all the rage in Italy) . It takes me a good hour to find my way out of the crowd and back to my hotel room (in the dark!).

No comments:

Post a Comment